As a grandparent with a passion to impact your grandchildren for Christ, do you sometimes struggle to find fun and meaningful ways to disciple them and leave a lasting legacy of faith? Help is at hand in Discipling Your Grandchildren, which contains lots of suggestions and ideas to help you do just that. We wrote this book to help you apply the biblical methods of family discipleship from Deuteronomy 6 into everyday life by providing hundreds of ways to help grandchildren know, love, and serve Christ.
You can order Discipling Your Grandchildren here.
What Others are Saying
“Every one of the 30 million Christian grandparents in America should have a copy of this inspiring book in their homes. Every church should have it available in their library.” Valerie Bell, CEO Awana
“This is a treasure trove of ideas that will revolutionize how your grandparent and the impact you will have on your grandchildren.” Cavin Harper, Founder of The Christian Grandparent Network
“There is no more loving or sacred role than that of being a godly grandparent to the children entrusted to your family—this book shows you how!” Dr. Wess Stafford, President Emeritus, Compassion International
Overview of the Book
Discipling Grandchildren is organized around eleven topics that most grandparents experience with children and grandchildren. There are ninety-six different sections, with hundreds of ideas all designed to help you be an intentional disciple-making grandparent. Each chapter contains a list of ideas, concisely explained, often in bullet point format.
The ideas in this book are not random or purposeless. They are a means to a greater end. Of course, disconnected from the biblical purpose of discipleship, they become just another activity with a grandchild. We encourage you to read each idea with discipleship in mind and utilize them toward that end.
Table of Contents
- What Does the Bible Say About Grandparenting?
Five Characteristics of a Disciple-Making Grandparent
- Gifts, Encouragement, and Prayer
Gift Giving, 10 Graduation Gift Ideas, The Gift of a Bible, Connect Through Texts, Build Your Grandchild’s Library of Good Books, Books to Give and Enjoy Together, Giving Gifts of Experiences, Journaling Together, Praying for Each Other, 30 Scriptures to Pray for your Children and Grandchildren
- Intentional Meals
Long Distance Dinners, Bake a Simple Recipe Three Different Ways, Checklist for Successful Meal Times with Small Children, Practice Mealtime Manners with a Tea Party, Learn About Missions by Enjoying an Ethnic Dinner, Preparing Dinner with Bible Ingredients, Thanking Parents with a Dinner
- Teaching God’s Word and Telling God’s Work
Disciple Grandchildren Using a Good Book, Wonderful Things in God’s Word, Utilize Your Skills by Teaching What You Know, Participate in Education, Being a Good Friend, Teaching Biblical Manhood to Boys, Go on a Virtual Tour of Israel, Take Notes in Church, Participate in the Great Backyard Bird Count, Biblical Worldview Detector, Tell about Past Generations, Share Your Faith Story
- Reading and Memorizing the Bible
Check Out Unusual Verses, Make Magnets to Memorize a Verse, Use Objects to Memorize, Bible Character Biographies, Memorize the Books of the Bible, Summarize the Books of the Bible, Discuss the Sermon, Study the Bible Together, Take Photos to Illustrate a Verse
- Sharing the Gospel
EvangeCube, The Wordless Book, Romans Road, Share the Gospel Using Five Fingers and Five Verses, Dirty Water Experiment, Challenge Children to Think About Their Faith, Answer Hard Questions, Share Your Faith Story, Teach Children to Make Right Choices, Write a Psalm
- Serving Together
Get Involved in their Activities, Practical Service Opportunities, Develop a Talent or Skill Together, Take a mission trip together
- Relationship Building
Build Traditions Together, Make an Unfinished Photo Album, Send Unusual Mail, Celebrate the Start of a New School Year, Rubber Band Fight, Backyard Camping, Nerf Gun War, Family Fantasy Football League, Connect with Grandchildren via Social Media, Celebrate Major Milestones, Listening to Your Grandchildren, Visiting Great-Grandparents, Relating to Teens, Respect the Wishes of Non-Christian Parents
- For Your Home
Checklist for Successful Overnight Visits, Host Grandparent Camp, Welcoming Grandchildren into Your Home, Make and Use Prayer Cards, Honor Grandchildren in Your Home, Explore Your City, Stay Home Together, Write Notes while Visiting, Share Bedtime Stories from a Distance, 21 Activities With Grandchildren
- For Your Church
Launch a Grandparent Ministry, Participate in National Grandparents Day, Include Grandparents in Child Dedications, Participate in GrandCamp, Start a [email protected] group, Organize a Photo Scavenger Hunt
New Years Ideas, Valentine’s Day Ideas, St. Patrick’s Day Ideas, Easter Ideas, Ideas for the Spring, Memorial Day Ideas, Mother’s and Father’s Day Ideas, Ideas for Summer Vacation, Fourth of July Ideas, Ideas for Fall, Halloween Ideas, Thanksgiving Ideas, Christmas Ideas, Birthday Ideas, Ideas to Celebrate Spiritual Birthdays
Example from Chapter 1: 10 Graduation Gift Ideas
Be creative and share your faith heritage through your gift giving this graduation season. Above all, think memory with meaning. If possible, be there to celebrate with a grandchild in person.
1. Personalized photography: frame a memorable event of the graduating grandchild, even better if you are in the photo together.
2. Overnight bag: invite your grandchild can come see you, especially if he or she is going away to college.
3. Heirloom jewelry: pass on a special piece to your college bound grandchild and write a note that it is a reminder that you are with him or her.
4. An experience: purchase tickets around what interests your grandchild such as music or sports. Be creative. continue to make memories, even as they grow older.
5. Talk time: ask your grandchild to teach you how to use Skype, Marco Polo, or Zoom so you can stay in communication. Choose the method that works best for you.
6. Handwritten letter: tell them you love them, are there for them and you will be praying for them during this next season of life. You may want to include specific Scripture you will pray.
7. Scrapbook of memories: create a book of photos and journal things you did together.
8. Family memento: share its meaning, when you received it, and why you are passing it on to your grandchild.
9. T-shirt quilt: order or make a quilt using a grandchild’s old t-shirts. You will need to collect a grandchild’s shirts from camp, school, and family trips. You can find a company online by googling t-shirt quilt. Send them the t-shirts and they do the rest.
- Gift cards for gas, restaurants, clothing or electronic stores where they shop.